Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Buck Point, Ruckel Overlook and Wachella

After the pile of sad that was our weekend outing to Hardy Ridge (too hot to hike) and Lacamas Park (too smelly), I was hankering to get back out there and cleanse my palette. Keeley is out on ANOTHER business trip, so time for a solo excursion. This time I wasn't going to do something fancy, I just wanted to check out a small hike I hadn't done yet and explore a hike I hadn't done for a year. 

Buck Point
.9 Miles to point
570 feet elevation gain

Buck Point isn't really a point, or much of an overlook. It's a section of the Ruckel Ridge trail off the entrance to Eagle creek that is exposed underneath the power lines, kind of like Wauna Viewpoint, but with less views. It's easy to get to however, so it's not like it isn't worth it. I parked next to the fish hatchery and walked up the campground road trail to Eagle Creek campground. Why there is a campground here I have no idea, it's just a flat plateau area overlooking the freeway, with car noise buzzing past. Why would you camp here? I thought camping was supposed to happen in the woods.

At the far edge of the camp there is a sign for Buck Point. The 3/4ths mile from this sign to Buck point has 12 switchbacks. 12. There are more switchbacks in this mile than anywhere else I've been. Luckily since you are only climbing about 300 feet from the camp, the switchbacks make the trail pretty easy instead of steeply climbing a ridge straight up for no reason other than being difficult. I barely broke a sweat and I was moving pretty quickly. You reach Buck Point, and soak in the so-so views.

Buck Point would be more interesting if half the trees in front of you were missing. You get obscured views in all directions outside the west, and looking west all you see is Wauna VP, a bit of Munra, and some of the river. To the East you can sort of see the Bridge of the Gods, maybe Augsperger in the distance, the tip of Mt Adams, and power lines. Again, half blocked by trees. Walking up to the treeline past the Power lines you finally get a view of Table Mountain and Greenleaf mountain. I got lucky early morning ambiance, this view is probably lamer in later day lighting.

The beautiful view west. You can see Wauna Viewpoint, the edge of Munra Point, and lots of power lines.

Wauna Viewpoint and Munra Point being cheeky behind it

The view Northeast. The lighting makes this picture worth it, and take note, I had to photoshop out a power line from this image, so this isn't even what you see. 

Embrace the Power lines

Probably the best picture I took on the trip

Table Mountain! With special guest, obnoxious power lines. 

Ruckel OverlookAdd another half mile or so and 400 feet of elevation from Buck Point

Ruckel Ridge has a bit of a reputation on PortlandHikers.org. It's spoken about in hushed tones. Everything you see suggests NOT FOR BEGINNERS. THIS HIKE IS CRAZY TREACHEROUS OH MY GOD. I'm not sure how deserved the reputation is, but from the small bit I got, it's certainly not for first timers. it also looked really damn fun. But I only got a small taste. Northwest Hiker pointed out that there is an overlook half a mile past Buck, so I figured I'd get some fitness and a better view.

As soon as you pass Buck the trail takes on a different vibe. Gone is the gentle dirt slope, it's go time baby. You go down a short hill and end up at the bottom of a massive talus slope (read: old rockslide). The trail goes up the slope in switchbacks, you never have solid footing, and it's super fun and open. A couple bits are steep and this hike is probably a bad idea when wet, but it was dry and I was fine. After crossing up the talus slope you reach the ridge going up to the big rock cliffs above and the trail takes on a Munra Point type quality.

It's steeper and harder than Munra for sure, but without the exposure. There are many trees to help get you up the climb, and make no mistake you are practically climbing. It's not rock climbing, but each step is about a foot higher than the last, going up root staircases. You climb up the backside of the rock cliff and boom, overlook. You get a great view of Wauna VP, Bonneville dam, and back into Eagle Creek.

The view west


Beacon Rock is having a sad day

Hamilton Mountain

Munra and Wauna

Back into Eagle Creek

6 things I have summited in ONE PICTURE, now with labels
A closer view of the Hamilton area with labels on previous hikes
I also saw a Bald Eagle but wasn't fast enough with my camera to capture it. I guess I know why it's called Eagle creek now. Sadly you get no views to the north or east, even if the view west is far better than Buck. It wasn't a great overlook, but it was a nice break spot and I'd imagine a great reward for those beginning the rough journey up Ruckel ridge. One day, Ruckel, I'll take you on. But not today.

I walked back to the car, then remembered there is an overlook near Eagle Creek's mouth you can drive to. I drove to the parking lot, explored the mouth of the creek under the freeway, but didn't get to explore the overlook because apparently it's a campground that was infected with rednecks. The one who was awake gave me the stink eye so I left. Got a few pictures though.

Pink Flower


Under the Freeway, do do dooo do do

Table mtn. and Greenleaf peak.

Table you sexy beast you

Munra looms over the river

Artsy crap taken under I-84

Wachella Falls 2.0
2 miles, 300 feet elevation gain

I hadn't been to Wachella since last summer, and it was a rainy, misty day. I also didn't explore the canyon as much as I wanted to. Wachella is such an easy stroll and I've already described the hike in an earlier post, so this will just detail the one change I made. In the open area when you get near the falls you can admire the old 70's landslide, where the entire western hillside kinda fell off into the creek. Huge boulders are scattered around. You can climb up the landslide to the cliff wall, and there is a big giant rock there with an easy access point which allows you to climb up and sit there, and it's the best seat in the house.











No comments:

Post a Comment